[AG-TECH] Is there any AG Pocket PC version?

shudo at ni.aist.go.jp shudo at ni.aist.go.jp
Fri Mar 26 02:23:08 CST 2004

Xie Bo,

> I have not come across a version of VIC or RAT for the pocketPC besides the
> work at EVL.  I would be interested if you do find something that works.
> There was a group in Japan that was doing some work with handhelds and the
> AG with a camera on the handheld but I believe that was using Linux.
>
> Kabe

AFAIK, the following Motorola's page is very informative:

  Internet2 > Handhelds with CVE's
  http://internet2.motlabs.com/cve_handhelds/

There are recipes, presentations and videos about AG on iPAQ.

Besides, we have tried running VIC on Linux/iPAQ Pocket PC and
succeeded partially.  VIC runs on Familiar Linux, which is a Linux
distro for iPAQ Pocket PC, and show received video.

But we could not capture video because we do not have a video capture
device usable with iPAQ.  There is certainly several capture devices
which work on Linux/iPAQ, for example video capture jacket for iPAQ.
But we have only IBM Smart Capture Card II, it works on Linux/x86 and
not work on Linux/iPAQ even though I tried porting the device driver
to ARM processor.

Anyway, there are pictures of such an AG node based on iPAQ on the
following page:

  AG Situation in Japan: Toward Entertainment Grid
  http://www.shudo.net/publications/ag-apan-200308/

  Asia Pacific, A Distinctive Region with all kinds of Diversity
  http://www.shudo.net/publications/ag-retreat-2003/

  Kazuyuki Shudo
  Grid Technology Research Center
  National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)