[AG-TECH] Echo Cancellation

Joe Reitzer joer at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 8 12:05:38 CST 2004

Hi all,

We have both Polycom/ASPI's and Gentners here at TRECC
(3) - EF2280
(2) - XAP400
(1) - AP400

I find that the Polycom EF2280 system is by far the better system in my
opinion.
I have an extensive audio recording background and find that the software
for the Polycom/ASPI's  Conference Composer provides more control, has a
better interface, etc...  I find the Gware software clunky in comparison to
Conference Composer.  Ahha - conference composer does have a little greater
learning curve - somewhat of an understatement.  But once past that point
it is very sophisticated software and can do a lot.  The one thing that
pops in my head as a major difference is being able to see all inputs with
active level metering.  This is a serious software package and if you know
little about the fundamentals of audio engineering then you might consider
the Gentners.  Overall - from an end result - the participant of the AG
session - there is no difference, they both do what they are designed to
do.  It really is choosing Apples and Oranges.  Buy what your budget
allows, Gentner software is simpler to use but not as robust as
Polycom's.  Once you have experienced Polycom's conference composer
software and can appreciate it - this is where the difference lies.

That is my 2 cents,

Joe Reitzer
Coordinator of Technological Services

TRECC
2700 International Drive
Suite 305
West Chicago, IL 60185

Technology Research Education Commercialization Center
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana
www.trecc.org