[AG-TECH] AG IPv6 support

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Mar 4 14:11:37 CST 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:37:49PM -0500, Charles R. Anderson wrote:

> There is no MSDP for IPv6, so inter-domain Any Source Multicast cannot
> work yet.  Source-Specific Multicast can work; however, there are few
> implementations of MLDv2 out there.

I agree there will be no MSDP for IPv6.  In 6NET we have proposed the
embedded RP method of inter-domain Any Source Multicast, as per:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-embeddedrp-01.txt

This has been implemented by Cisco and validated in the 6NET network.

MLDv2 implementations do exist, particularly for BSD; its Windows that's
lacking I agree.

I believe this has been run in 6NET (www.6net.org) with native IPv6 and the
m6bone (www.m6bone.net) which is mainly tunnelled.

> There does appear to be an effort to make this a reality:
> http://multicast.internet2.edu/mcast-v6.shtml
> Does anyone know the current status of this work?

OK, I don't know the Abilene status; the Juniper IPv6 multicast implementation
status may well be different to Cisco.

I guess the European activity in Multicast IPv6 hasn't been disseminated
widely enough in the US?

Tim