[AG-TECH] AG IPv6 support

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 4 10:00:32 CST 2004

Hey Natalia,

We've discussed IPv6 support a few times now internally (and with some folks
working on it). We are very interested in being able to use IPv6 but there
are some fundamental issues with it that need to be addressed before we
could move to it exclusively -- that seems to be the case with everything.

One of the biggest issues is that the Globus Toolkit 2.X doesn't know about
IPv6. With the recent shifts in GT3/4, OGSI, and such we've pushed off
moving to that until at least next year. Given that what we really need is
someone to step up and offer to implement IPv6 for GT2, there are a couple
of groups that have worked on it, but it's not clear it's complete yet. If
someone or group of someone's was interested in trying it we'd be interested
in helping out and hearing how things go.

Second, our media tools would need to be able to handle IPv6. This is a
smaller but real problem, rat is (I believe) IPv6 capable, but vic is not.
This would be a good student project, but we're currently swamping our
students with other things.

A bigger issue is that we have not had demand large enough to undertake this
as a core project deliverable. If it becomes important enough we'll have to
pursue funding to create resources to do the work.

Sorry for the long answer ;)

--Ivan