[AG-TECH] VenueVNC / AG2.2 Services

Adam Carter adam at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Fri Jun 25 10:58:57 CDT 2004

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply about agpkgs and VenueVNC. Maybe once I fix the
association for .agpkg files I'll have a bit more luck with shared apps.
Hope you don't mind me annoying you with a couple more questions:

I notice in the AG2 Venue Client there are sections for "Services" and
"Application Sessions". What will actually show up in the Venue Client
window when you (a) are running a VenueVNC server and (b) when you show up
in a venue where someone else is running a VenueVNC server. Will the
VenueVNC Server be a "service"? If not can you explain briefly how the
client/server thing is implemented as an Application Session?

I'm still not sure I fully understand services. So,

 -- anyone --

Can anyone explain to me how you would use a service?
Are the services that appear in the Venue Client the same in nature to vic
and rat? When you double click on a service in the VC do you obtain a file
which basically contains information (such as an IP address) which tells a
previously-registered associated application how to use the service?

Hope this email doesn't sound as confused as I am... Any enlightenment
gratefully received,

 Dr Adam Carter (Applications Consultant)  |epcc|

 e: adam at epcc.ed.ac.uk  w: http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~adam
 r: 3405 JCMB           t: +44 131 650 6009