[AG-TECH] Whiteboard in AG?

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Tue Jun 22 18:57:49 CDT 2004

In the usual method of pre-announcing stuff that hasn't hit real code yet :-) I have some students working on multicast-enabling some of the realtime pen-tracking whiteboards (e-beam and mimio), which would/could include a mouse-driven whiteboard for the masochists. We're looking at wb/wbd/dlb and the various reliable-multicast libraries (and I've suggested building on these, rather than creating something new).

Several of our users have demanded this as 'critical', so we have to make it work for them.

Hopefully a delivery of code before the end of the year (or they don't pass :-) ). Feature requests welcomed, but may be left for later.

There's no reason I can see you couldn't use wb/wbd/dlb in the AG today, just that they're a bit clunky, old and unmaintained afaik. nte (network text editor) is another similar tool I'd love to see in the AG, which is somewhat wb-like, but focuses on shared text-editing. Anybody want to take that one on?

Cheers,
        Markus

At 11:13 AM 22/06/2004 -0500, Robert Olson wrote:
>This was with the prototype code, so it won't port directly over; it would be a trivial shared app - the shared data would be the multicast group to be used, and all the client app would do is start up wbd on that group.
>
>--bob
>
>At 10:59 AM 6/22/2004, Adam Carter wrote:
>

>>Robert Olson wrote:
>>| we did a demo at sc a couple years ago of wbd integrated with the ag2
>>| prototype system, seemed to work pretty well (though it requires
>>multicast,
>>| and as I recall doesn't use straight RTP so the RTP reflectors don't
>>help).
>>
>>Hi Robert,
>>I'd be interested in hearing more about this wbd integration. Does it work
>>like a normal AG2 shared app? Has it ever been tested with AG2.2? Does it
>>use AG's infrastructure for the communication of events between instances of
>>the application?
>>Is there any documentation available anywhere which describes specifically
>>the use of wbd with Access Grid?
>>
>>I've heard many people talk about their desire to have an easy-to-use
>>whiteboard integrated with AG, so if there's one out there, it begs the
>>question as to why it isn't being used more widely. It seems to me that it
>>is important enough functionality to be distributed with the main AG
>>toolkit, or at least mentioned in documents like the User's Guide to Shared
>>Applications. Do you know if there are any plans for either of the above?
>>
>>Any comments on, or answers to, any of the questions above would be
>>gratefully received!

>> Dr Adam Carter (Applications Consultant)  |epcc|
>>
>> e: adam at epcc.ed.ac.uk  w: http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~adam
>> r: 3405 JCMB           t: +44 131 650 6009

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures Group,      |Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au, mail: Bldg #108 CS&IT |Fx: +61 2 61259805
The Australian National University, Canberra 0200 |Mob: 0417 281429