[AG-TECH] internal venue server

Benedikt Bjarni Bogason benedib at hi.is
Tue Jun 22 09:30:53 CDT 2004

> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 21:05, Benedikt Bjarni Bogason wrote:
>> Thank you for the tips, does anyone else have any success stories he or
>> she would like to share with me, regarding setting up a linux venue
>> server?
>>
>> To follow up, when I have successfully set up the linux server (I've
>> actually already managed to set up a windows one) I will probably be
>> trying to set up a certificate server as well. And again would
>> appreciate
>> ANY tips you can spare, if you have gone through that process on a linux
>> machine.
>>

> The Asia Pacific Access Grid venue server at
> https://vv2.ap-accessgrid.org:8000/Venues/default has been running for
> over a year on a Slackware Linux system. It has been using Slackware 9.1
> with the AG2.1.2 release since January 2004. Before that, it was on
> Slackware 9.0 and AG2.1 (from September 2003), not sure which AG2
> version before that.
>
> Its been running almost trouble free in that time. It has had instances
> of losing its configuration, so I'm careful about keeping a backup handy
> of VenueServer.cfg & VenueServer.dat (from the directory in which the
> server is run).
>
> We use it with an anonymous certificate from AG Developers, haven't
> tried generating our own certificates.
>
> The AG2.1.2 release for Slackware is available at
> http://www.ap-accessgrid.org/AG2/. We're working on a release of AG2.2
> for Slackware at the moment (currently testing).
>

> chris
>

> --
> Chris Willing                     Phone: +61 7 3365 8350
> University of Queensland          Email: willing at itee.uq.edu.au
> St Lucia, QLD 4072, Australia

Thank you very much.

I was indeed wondering about my VenueServer. I run VenueServer from the
directory where .dat file is everytime, but I often have to reconfigure my
server all over again. I shut the server down just by closing the window,
but it seems that if I use VenueManagment to close the server than all my
virtual venues are intact. Is it really necessary to close it that way? I
saw in the archives this is was known as a problem last January, has
anyone fixed this. It can be frustrating setting up all the rooms each and
every time.

Benedikt.