[AG-TECH] extra special doc plea

Jennifer Teig von Hoffman jtvh at bu.edu
Wed Jun 16 16:20:43 CDT 2004

Hi all,

Today I got yet another email from somebody desperately trying to figure out what ports need to be opened for him to have an AG session using a client behind a firewall. And of course those of us on this list know there's not a quick, easy answer, but there's also not even any place I can point him to that lays out the issues in a general way.

Would somebody be willing to write something for the AGDP on this? You don't have to know all the answers, even a summary of the issues that come into play would be extremely helpful -- basically an explanation of why we can't just say "oh, open up port 8000 in both directions and you'll be fine," and maybe some general hints and links to particularly-helpful ag-tech posts on the topic. Because believe me, whatever you can write on this topic might well be loads better than what I can!

- Jennifer