[AG-TECH] Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:48:08 +0100

Adam Carter adam at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 03:48:14 CDT 2004

Dear ag-tech,

Following on from the recent email about the HPC-Europa project
(www.hpc-europa.org), I'd like to mention a few things we are
considering working on here at EPCC (www.epcc.ed.ac.uk):

 o Visual identification of "active" window (the window(s) in which
   someone is speaking) based on output from RAT.

 o A means to start/control VNC from within Access Grid, and possibly
   associate a VNC session with a venue.

   - Does anyone know of any previous attempts to integrate aspects of
     VNC, as opposed to just running it side-by-side with AG? I've noticed
     something called VenueVNC in CVS, but I don't know what stage this is
     at, and what functionality it has.

 o A means to easily "moderate" an Access Grid session so that a chair
   person could easily mute/change the volume of the different audio
   streams involved in the session. These changes could be broadcast
   to all sites.

 o Improvements to integration of a whiteboard tool with AG.

   - I know that various shared-whiteboard tools are already
     available, so I don't know to what extent there's anything to be
     done on this subject. However, I know that here at EPCC we don't
     regularly use such software and I think that many people would
     find it useful. If anyone has any experience of using such tools
     and has identified any short-comings on which we could work, I'd
     be interested to hear.

 o A (web-based?) tool to share an agenda or tick-list for a meeting.

   - I guess something like this could maybe be done with the help of the
     shared browser.

If anyone is working in any of these areas or knows of any existing
work that I should be aware of then I'd be very interested to hear
from you.

Unfortunately none of us could make it over the pond for the AG retreat
this time, as it would have been a good time to meet people and find out
about what's going on, but I hope all of you who are there are having an
interesting and fun few days!

Thanks in advance for your comments/answers!

Regards,
Adam

 Dr Adam Carter (Applications Consultant)  |epcc|

         HPC-Europa --- www.hpc-europa.org

 e: adam at epcc.ed.ac.uk  w: http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~adam
 r: 3405 JCMB           t: +44 131 650 6009