[AG-TECH] Stale GLOBUS_HOSTNAME not updated

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 2 11:35:54 CDT 2004

At 10:45 AM 6/2/2004, Frank Sweetser wrote:
>I just removed AG 2.1.2 from my laptop, and then installed AG 2.2.  I've had
>two issues so far
>
>         - The GLOBUS_HOSTNAME environmental variable was still set to an
>           old hostname.  Previously, when the venue client started up, it
>           would detect that GLOBUS_HOSTNAME wasn't set to a hostname that
>           was valid for one of the interfaces and bring up a dialoge box
>           to properly set it.  Now, though, various bits and pieces just
>           try to talk to a hostname that doesn't map to any of the local
>           interfaces, and isn't even up.

The new code detects the hostname to be used, *unless* GLOBUS_HOSTNAME is
set.  The philosophy is that if the autodetection does not work properly,
we're probably in an environment where the autodetection couldn't work (for
instance, we're behind a NAT).

Unfortunately, this leads us to the problem you're seeing. Probably the
best thing to do is to go to the environment control panel and remove the
definition of GLOBUS_HOSTNAME to allow the autodetection to go ahead.

--bob