[AG-TECH] venue client problems

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Mon Jul 26 21:47:17 CDT 2004

Hi all at ag-dev

On a 2.2 node (venue client on Windows) I can enter and move around the APAG venue server (2.1.2 from memory?) fine, but have all sorts of problems entering and moving around the ANL venue server. Typical behaviour is

 1. I get kicked off,
 2. I get invited to reconnect
 3. I get kicked off before I have fully reconnected
 4. Repeat 2-3 at ever faster rate.

Occassionally I get in and can stay in, on the main Lobby venue. If I try and enter the Institutional Lobby though it takes a looooong time, and then eventually enters the main Lobby again - not letting me drop down to lower venues at all. Then after all a while I get kicked off (see above :-) ).

Also: There doesn't seem to be any way to say to the venue client to cancel an attempt to enter a venue. So if there's any problems getting into a venue, it effectively hangs the venue client. Timeouts might help, but there's too many places where some delays might occur. It'd be nice if the venue client could provide fairly detailed state-information as to where it is up to when changing venues ('killing/ed rat, killing/ed vic, entering/ed venue, starting/ed vic, starting/ed rat, things should be normal now, ...' :-) ).

Is there any plan for a minor update to 2.2 to fix these things (if you know what is causing them), or is 2.3 close? scglobal is looming.

Cheers,
	Markus

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures Group,      |Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au, mail: Bldg #108 CS&IT |Fx: +61 2 61259805
The Australian National University, Canberra 0200 |Mob: 0417 281429