[AG-TECH] Trouble with service certs

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jul 16 09:22:11 CDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Ivan R. Judson wrote:

> The first and most important thing is that you can't telnet into the
> services we've built. They are using the the certificates to negotiate
> secure encrypted communication. As such, the first thing that needs to
> happen is a protocol negotiation (that's binary I believe, or at least
> opaque).

Yes you can.  I'm a developer of Grid based software systems so I know what
you can and can't do, and this is one I use happily all the time.  I'm not
trying to talk to the system, merely check that it's behaving.  A service
should not immediately close the port when it gets no data, that's a bad sign.

jh
--
"It is the final proof of God's omnipotence that he need not exist in order to
  save us."                                           -- Peter De Vries