[AG-TECH] Multi input capture ( RE )

christoph ganser ganser at ethworld.ethz.ch
Mon Jul 12 10:15:51 CDT 2004

Hi List

We are trying to install a quad-framegrabber and accessgrid on one
computer (PIG). Unfortunately we have problems with the capture cards on
Windows XP and Linux Redhat 9.

We tested the Falcon Quatro and Euresys Picolo Tetra (interesting for a
"quatro PIG" as it uses PCI-64 or PCI-X (Tetra-X)). Both cards use the
Bt878A chip.

On Windows the Falcon worked sometimes with the WinCap Application for 3
inputs. As much as I know, AG (vic) still has to use the Video for
Window (VfW) interface. The Accessgrid configuration GUI did not show us
these video sources. Did we miss a magic trick (edit a config file?)

On Redhat 9.0 with Falcon the "modprobe bttv" command recognized the
four bt878a chips. Unfortunately xawtv could not give us a real image
(we saw only depressing black images). Is there a special patch for bttv
when using the Falcon Quatro? Do we have to modprobe with an option?
Should we use the proprietary drivers?

The Euresys Picolo Tetra did not work with WinCap and AG, but the demo
applications did worked. So i quess there is no VfW support.

On Redhat it was the same problem as with the Falcon Quatro. xawtv
showed only black images :( but bttv saw four devices ...

Despite these problems our system works fine on RedHat 9.0 with two
Pinnacle PCTV Pro.

Could any body help me :( I spend already hours with these cards!

Is there a card known to be working very smoothly on Windows XP and
Linux with the AG? I saw the posting of Jon Johansson (1.June). But as
the Falcon is on the list, i wanted to ask this list for help.

Thank you very much for any help and sorry for the long mail!

Best Regards

Christoph Ganser

--
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology - Center for Product Development
Tannenstrasse 3 - CLA E 14.1