[AG-TECH] Critical Python Bug Affecting AGTk 2.2

Joshua M. Brown jmb10 at uark.edu
Fri Jul 9 10:40:07 CDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Charles R. Anderson wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 08:39:58AM -0500, Joshua M. Brown wrote:
> > Core 2, or Gentoo? i have people that put up a good deal of money and
> > purchased some very expensive equipment and it is stuck on AG1.x at this
> > time because i have no idea what OS will be supported.
>
> Support is a funny word with many different meanings.  I don't know
> that anything in this project is really "supported" in the sense that
> "I paid for this and you must fix it".  Whatever the community
> develops on/for, will be "supported" in the sense that it will likely
> run the best on that platform.

I am comfortable with the way F/OSS and the community works; I was in no
way implying that anyone must fix anything. Just looking for some concrete
answers is all.

> Ivan was pretty clear that Fedora Core
> and Gentoo were two such platforms that the community were working on.

I'm certain I would not have been compelled to post were that the case.
Probably my fault. Happens from time to time.

> If you want a more concrete level of support, maybe InSors or another
> company can provide that.

I've already witnessed some locations that are, how you say, "up the
creek without a paddle" because of reliance on commercial, turnkey
solutions whose parent comanies are long gone. This is in the AG context.

> > i really do need a solid answer on:
> >
> > 1) which distro?
> > 2) AG 2.3 - wait for that or move ahead with AG2.2
>
> There will likely always be a newer one to look forward to... at least
> as long as this project continues.  Newer generally means less stable.
> It takes time to work out all the issues to provide a stable solution,
> by which time something newer is most likely out. Changing stuff is a
> destabalizing factor.  It depends on how "bleeding edge" you want to
> be.

Understood. Newer also can mean incompatibilty with older (or just
different) solutions. I'm attempting to avoid painting myself into a
corner with a solution that will become incompatible shortly thereafter -
hence the question on AG2.3. I also understand that the changes will most
likely not break AG2.2 - but it never hurts to ask does it?

I am willing to wait for the Town Meeting to
see what 2.3 will entail. I'm looking forward to seeing what good stuff
will be in there as well.

As for how bleeding edge I'd like to be, my emphasis on "stable" should
probably give that away.

Thank you.

jmb