[AG-TECH] Firewalls for the AG

Todd Needham toddn at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 8 13:13:20 CDT 2004

The XP firewall is "stateless" and doesn't try to inspect every packet.
On one hand this means that it can't do the fancy decision making that
ZoneAlarm and Sygate do.  On the other hand, it doesn't have the
performance issues under a lot of traffic that they do (so it works well
for applications like Access Grid and Conference XP).

You can programmatically open & close ports for the Windows XP Firewall.
The source code for how ConferenceXP does this is in the Firewall.cs
file in the MSR.LST.Net.Rtp project (see http://www.conferencexp.net
<http://www.conferencexp.net/>  to download). For descriptions on how
the Windows XP Firewall works and how to program it, see the
documentation on MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/> ).  There's a URL to use Google to search
MSDN for Firewall documentation & APIs & sample code:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=site%3Amsdn%2Emicrosof
t%2Ecom+firewall

Hope this helps...

Todd Needham