[AG-TECH] Orphan rat blocks pig

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Thu Jan 29 11:29:21 CST 2004

(This is an animal discussion group, right ?  :-)  )

We were trying to start the VenueClient from (I think) AccessGrid-2.1.2-13
on our quasi-PiG (1-box Linux room system) and it just hung - starting
it from a GUI there was no clue.
Starting it from command line gave a long backtrace with the
information that a port was already in use (but not what it was required
for).
Running "lsof -i" revealed an orphan Rat (either headless, or started on
my desktop in another room) which I'd forgotten about.

I'm not quite sure why rat should block - version 3 will run multiple
copies but the audio is greyed out except on the first.

Anyhow:
GUI-based tools should generate  error messages in a popup, not on
stdout/stderr consigned to the bit-bucket.
It would have been nice to see a message like "audio device busy" or
"unable to start Rat; maybe another copy is running"

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376
security at triumf.ca