[AG-TECH] Adams Platform

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Thu Jan 15 23:17:12 CST 2004

At 09:59 15/01/2004 -0600, Jeff Carpenter wrote:
>I just read about this on one of my streaming video lists.  Has anyone heard of the Adams Platform compression algorithm?

I think I heard the original flurry of discussion when it first came out, looong time ago.

>http://web.archive.org/web/19990430015742/http://www.theage.com.au/daily/980519/infotech/infotech1.html

Note that dates back to 1998.

>Their work is now being backed by a major broadcasting company in Australia and verified and tested by an external entity (Tolly Group).
>http://www.mediaworld.com.au/mwc/pdf_f/031222MWC_EM_TollyRep.pdf

That's much more recent (Nov/Dec 2003), part of the due diligence by MWC to buy the technology.

I know the journalist who wrote the original article above in 1998, so asked him where they were up to. He said they've been tracking them since, and they seem to be very good at promising and capital raising, but not much else has happened. He's still waiting. He wrote an update last October:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/13/1065917330240.html?from=storyrhs

Interesting, MWC is described as a user of the technology. They liked it so much they're buying the company, apparently.

>If what they claim is true, it would be astounding.

Indeed, although I note not dis-similar claims from mjpeg2000 and h264 and others. This one seems to go a bit lower again though. The 'DVD-like' is at 56kb/s, not at 2400b/s, and we know what people are prepared to call 'DVD-like' :-)

I'm still looking for a good quantitative measure of video quality, one that takes in resolution, colour depth, frame rate, fractal-ness/rough-ness, etc. of the delivered vs original feed and generates a number: "This video is 18% of broadcast quality" :-)

Apparently, there will be some product starting to come out from MWC/WAP within the next few months. We'll see....

Cheers,
        Markus

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures Group,       |Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au, mail: Bldg #108 CS&IT  |Fx: +61 2 61259805
Australian National University, Canberra 0200 Aust.|Mob: 0417 281429