[AG-TECH] Room node speaker suggestions?

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 17 08:49:13 CST 2004

Eric,

I'm intrigued that 'a few of' your Genelecs have developed this
problem.  Genelecs are much used in broadcasting because of their
reliability and for several speakers, albeit active ones, to develop
such a fault is, I would assume, rather rare.  If they're still
within guarantee get them back to the supplier asap; if not, it
may still be worth getting one looked at in case you had a number
of units from a batch that had a problem - something like capactitors
drying out?  Have they been subjected to any heat extremes?

Although the 1029s seem a bit over-specced for the job being asked
of them, good reproduction of speech is surprisingly difficult,
and one advantage that active speakers have over amp + passive
speakers is that it is comparatively easy to include comprehensive
overload protection (as the amp manufacturer knows exactly the
power spectrum that the speaker can handle without cracking up)
and so can weather unintentionally loud sites joining in.  There
are other active speakers that undercut the Genelecs, but I would
not be happy to (for instance) halve the amount I spent on the
speaker system, compared to the Genelecs, because I would be
worried that they would not handle the transients in speech
signals, or might blow when a +30 dB signal joins the room.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44
(0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0)
1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44
(0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44
(0) 1235 445597
CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the
intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show
it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]