[Fwd: Re: [AG-TECH] Fedora Core 3 Display Troubles]

Bob Riddle bdr at internet2.edu
Fri Dec 10 18:58:50 CST 2004

for what it's worth - here's some notes related to getting Fedora Core 3
working on my T41 laptop - which supports dual monitors & chooses the
2nd monitor when the docking station is plugged into a KVM.
Sheesh ... everything worked fine using the laptop LCD, it worked fine
when I had the monitor plugged directly into the laptop and/or docking
station - but when trying to use the T41 with a KVM, I always got a
physical screen size of 640x480 and a virtual screen size of 1024x768
(or whatever I choose to the monitor).  So after ignoring this &
gnashing  my teeth for a few weeks, here's what I learned:

1. this is a well know problem
(http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/post-129447.html)
2. IBM doesn't care (or so it would appear reading the messages I found
on Google)
3. you can fix this on Fedora if you use the xorg.conf parameters
instead of the XFree86 parameters shown above.

It finally occurred to me how to get all the useful options - I ran
"Xorg -configure" and it created a sample file that was good for nothing
EXCEPT it listed the xorg DEVICE parameters.  I looked in the
var/log/Xorg.0.log and discovered that when the T41 was hooked to the
KVM, it assumed I was using a the secondary monitor, CRT2, for which it
assumed 640x480 defaults.  So, I added the following to my xorg.conf
file & things once again worked for me using the KVM with my T41:

    *#
    # funny stuff for to support T41 connected to KVM
    #
    Section "Monitor"
            Identifier   "CRT2"
            HorizSync    31.5 - 67.0
            VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Screen2"
            Device     "Videocard0"
            Monitor    "CRT2"
            DefaultDepth     24
            SubSection "Display"
                    Depth     24
                    Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864"
    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
            EndSubSection
    EndSection
    #
    # end of stupd KVM T41 stuff
    #
    *

*            Section "Device"*

    *        Identifier  "Videocard0"*
    *        Driver      "radeon"*
    *        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"*
    *        BoardName   "ATI Radeon Mobility 7500"*
    *# more stupid KVM - T41 stuff follows (Options)*
    *        Option      "CRT2HSync" "31.0-82.0"*
    *        Option      "CRT2VRefresh" "56.0-85.0"*
    *EndSection*

  The CRT2Hsync & CRT2VRefresh are really, really important!  (Don't use
the CloneVSync or CloneHRefresh found in the URL example!)

Done.