[AG-TECH] [Patch] Big Linux fixup patch

Colin Perkins csp at csperkins.org
Sun Dec 5 04:45:47 CST 2004

On 2 Dec 2004, at 20:43, Steve Smith wrote:
>> Do you know which options trigger the DES breakage in RAT? I haven't
>> been able to duplicate it on my test boxes...
>
> I've pretty-much always found it with any version of gcc > 2.95 under
> Debian; however Rhys Hawkins once mentioned that he started seeing it
> with when he added my alsa patch (and compiled with gcc3).  Under
> AMD64 nothing worked, and compiling qfDES with no compiler flags
> caused gcc to segfault.  There's probably a optimisation bug in gcc3,
> but if qfDES can trigger it so consistently it implies to me that the
> code is too fragile, and playing around edges of what is valid C.  The
> whole of my machine is compiled with the same compiler and it's
> perfectly stable.

Interesting. I know some fixes went into the UCL tree for use with gcc3
after the AG-2.3 version of rat, but they don't change the qfDES code.
It seems that something fixes the problems though - I've been running
rat compiled with gcc3 for a months now (on MacOS X and FreeBSD 5)
without problems.

Colin