[AG-TECH] Well - multi-node DOES work, but ...

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Sun Apr 18 21:05:58 CDT 2004

At 18:16 18/04/2004 -0700, Randy Groves wrote:
>I mean we are working with tools of a 'certain age'.  Not to say they're OLD, but ...

 ... they ARE chronologically-advantaged :-) But more fairly, remote control was never in their core design.

>Is a development like a venue client that can truly control a multi-machine node (all functionality concentrated in the one client).  I'm guessing that this may require non-gui versions of the tools.  Or something new.

We're going on the 'something new' path - see e.g. VP (http://if.anu.edu.au/SW/VP.html) which (with friends) will have mbus support for full remote control (and other features) as well as non-gui media tools for e.g. the capture side. That way a smart venue client (actually "node client"? "node master"? Whatever) can control the media tools from a separate console. My driver is supporting 4+ nodes from a single point, as far as possible (and as far away as possible, e.g. out to our two observatory sites).

I'm aware of other groups working on smarter wrappers for vic and rat, albeit more focussed on startup configuration, and there was a remote-control vic project (rvic) sometime back but I think that was only a thesis project with no further development.

Cheers,
        Markus

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures Group,       |Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au, mail: Bldg #108 CS&IT  |Fx: +61 2 61259805
Australian National University, Canberra 0200 Aust.|Mob: 0417 281429