[AG-TECH] Recording/Playback of video/audio on the AG

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Mon Apr 12 23:10:55 CDT 2004

At 15:25 8/04/2004 -0500, John I Quebedeaux Jr wrote:
>Okay, this might be an obvious question... to be answered... or not... but I've been getting (locally) requests to record Access grid (or just to use our camera/video capture cameras and audio equipment) for recording sessions and playing it back or putting it onto a medium for viewing later.

I'm not sure what Voyager's status is, but we just use rtpdump (and rtpplay) from Henning's rtptools package (uhm... http://www.cs.columbia.edu/IRT/software/rtptools/) Clunky, but it works. There's a few trip-ups with rtpdump/play, that limit its usefulness a bit - we're working on those with some students, but it will be a little while yet. The main issues are the format itself (which doesn't scale nicely), and the restriction to rtp (which is mostly Ok, but not always). There's also an intermittent glitch in rtpplay with some recordings that we have not solved yet.

The benefit is that's a nice way of capturing everything (audio and video at least) both local and remote, and keeping it in the digital domain. Playback is thus as nice as the original, and avoids recoding audio/video and the associated loss of information.

Cheers,
        Markus

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures Group,       |Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au, mail: Bldg #108 CS&IT  |Fx: +61 2 61259805
Australian National University, Canberra 0200 Aust.|Mob: 0417 281429