[AG-TECH] room node certificates

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Sep 29 10:50:15 CDT 2003

> Ah - so, let me see if I have this right.
>
> For a typical room node, the room based services (cameras,
> display, audio) would be started up with AGServiceManager and
> AGNodeService pointed at a non-signed certificate that
> identifies itself as the room facility (ie, "WPI Access Grid
> Node").  The Venue Client would then be started up without
> --personalNode with the signed user cert and attach to the
> node, with the profile optionally edited to also identify
> itself as the room facility with a role of node instead of
> user.  This way, everything identifies itself as a part of
> the room node rather than the individual, but with the
> certificate, the operater can still be identified.
>
> Correct?

This is almost exactly correct, with the added benefit that the Node Service
and Service Manager will hopefully be started at system boot time
automatically :-)

Additionally the node service will advertise itself, and the venue client
will look for those advertisements -- changing the "Preferences->Set Node
Url" menu item to "Preferences->Attach to Node" (which can be a list of
discovered nodes, plus some manual interface). Once you attach to it, you
can control it :-)

--Ivan