[AG-TECH] Laptops II

Christoph Willing chris at vislab.usyd.edu.au
Fri Sep 26 10:05:10 CDT 2003

Stuart Poulton wrote:
> Many thanks to those who replied to my laptop question, in summary,
> those who replied are running on laptops of > 1.5GHz also a guide can be
> found here
>
>   http://www.accessgrid.org/agdp/howto/ag2-0-install-pig.html
>
> The next question, is again technical, with the arrival of Centrino,
> which seems to being adopted rapidly by most laptop suppliers comes a
> reduction in clock speed currently <1.7GHz but an increase in cache to
> 1MB. Will a 1.7GHz Centrino be able to run an AG node or is raw cpu
> speed the key ?

I have AG2.1.1 installed on a Dell Precision M60 with a 1.4GHz Centrino
(using Slackware 9.0) and it seems to run pretty well. I haven't noticed
very much difference to some workstation setups I've been testing with
(dual 2.4GHz with RH7.3, RH9 and Slack 9.0). Maybe there'll be a bigger
difference in sessions with lots of participants i.e. more video streams.

chris

--
Chris Willing                      Telephone   (61-2) 9351 3914
Sydney Vislab, F09                      Fax    (61-2) 9351 5955