[AG-TECH] Room Specification

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Tue Oct 28 16:27:18 CST 2003

At 11:47 28/10/2003 +0000, Hudson, Michelle wrote:
>I would just like to know if there is a minimum room size and height to successfully create an Access Grid Node?

Given you can run it on a desktop system for a single person, I'd say no.

The current "room-sized" nodes within a short walk of me range from an ~8 seat boardroom with 8ft concrete ceilings (everything hangs under it), to a 60 seat seminar room with 8ft false ceiling (10ft to the concrete), and a 100 seat lecture theatre with 8-15ft raked ceiling.

It comes down to how you can seat the people, how you can capture them on video, and how much space you can give to a display. Some of the rectangular rooms I have seen run sideways, projecting on a long wall, with a shallow-but-wide seating arrangement. The boardroom above has a nifty diagonal layout, where 3 projectors project onto two walls and a diagonal between them.

Low ceilings are a nuisance, if you want to front-project - your projectors could hang into head-thumping-space. Rear-projection is great if you can do it.

Cheers,
        Markus

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures Project,      | Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au, mail: Bldg #108 - CS&IT |Fax: +61 2 61259805
Australian National University, Canberra 0200, Aust.|Mob: 0417 281429