[AG-TECH] Quickbridge Questions

Michael Daw mike.daw at man.ac.uk
Fri May 30 03:09:47 CDT 2003

Currently it's only been tested on Linux. I don't know of anyone who's
ported it to Windows.

> - Is Quickbridge the only software needed to have the multicast-unicast
> bridge operate properly for the client running VIC and RAT?

Yes.

> - How intensive is Quickbridge running on a PC?  What would be a
> recommended requirements spec for running Quickbridge?

It's not very intensive on processing power. A 1GHz machine should be
plenty. However, network connectivity might be an issue (see below).

> - Are there any other issues with running Quickbridge...
> 	* Reliability: does the bridge need to be restarted frequently if
> left up for days?

It's been fine for us even left up for days. Make sure you have the most
recent version, though (i.e. you've downloaded in the last couple of
months).

> 	* Bandwidth: typically how much bandwidth would be used?

The bandwidth depends what you send and receive from it. It takes all the
multicast streams from a venue and outputs them to clients via unicast and
takes the unicast streams from clients and outputs them via multicast. You
should be able to do a straight addition based on bandwidth of these various
streams.

> 	* Security: Is the Access Control List (ACL) fairly reliable for
> preventing unwanted usage?

Yes. There are no guarantees, of course, but 'fairly reliable' should cover
it.