[AG-TECH] Open Mash still in process?

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 27 14:12:43 CDT 2003

Hey,

I believe the last time we discussed this (just at the beginning of our 2.0
mayhem) we came to the conlusion that the only three items stopping us were:

1) Autoplace:

  I'm having a student work on reproducing the current ag-vic autoplace
functionality in OM vic so we can compare the two and remove this obstacle.

2) Performance:

  This is less of a show stopper than it sounds, I think the two are within
10% of each other performance-wise (last time I checked, which was again,
long ago). We'd like to verify this and make sure that there are no
gotcha's.

3) Security:

  I'm having the same student build OM with security enabled and verify that
streams are interoperable (I expect they are). It'd be nice if we got
security compiled into mash by default.

Other than that, I think it's a matter of us discussing how to move ahead on
it and we could adopt OM vic very soon.  We're already toying with a
headless video sender using OM now, to make sending video streams easier.

--Ivan