[AG-TECH] Open Mash still in process?

Andrew Swan aswan at cs.berkeley.edu
Tue May 27 14:04:21 CDT 2003

Randy Groves wrote:
> Is someone still working on OpenMash?  I thought development on this ended
> because of funding.

The grants that funded full time staff have ended but there
are several students still working actively on various
projects.  As far as little bugfixes and keeping up with
new OS releases etc. it is at least as well supported as
ucl vic :-)

Seriously, the {ucl,ag} vic codebase is really pretty close
to the mash codebase and it seems wasteful to maintain two
separate yet very similar apps.  Ivan mentions a few of the
nice mash vic features mash below and in addition, its
software jpeg decoder is compatible with rtptv and the h.263
codec has been greatly improved recently.

> >but specifically if we use OpenMash's vic tool it does a couple of things
> >nicely, first it has a 's' command key that turns on scroll bars in the
> >thumbnail view (yay), and it also has automatic detection of blue/black
> >video streams and the option of not displaying them. Further, it has the
> >ability to have the autoplacement of video streams be programmatically
> >modified (using tcl --ick). However, the biggest drawback is that it
> >doesn't have autoplacement working the way our vic does yet.

I'm not really familiar with how autoplace works on agvic,
can you elaborate Ivan?  And are there any other barriers to
wide adoption of open mash vic within ag?

-Andrew