[AG-TECH] unable to run PIG successfully

Davies, Robert RDavies at HPTI.com
Mon May 12 11:22:58 CDT 2003

I am at the Army Research Lab and we have consistently been having problems
getting the PIG to operate consistently.  The problems we're encountering
are occurring on two different computers.

To briefly run down the problems:

It has worked, with both video and audio, for version 1.2, at times.

In those cases when it works, though, as soon as I log off, or restart, or
really do pretty much anything, it stops working.  To get it working again,
I basically need to do a full reinstall of the software.  Not only that, but
I need to do a clean wipe of all files related to Access Grid, and the only
way I've found that this works is by uninstalling, then reinstalling the
previous version (1.1), then uninstalling that, then reinstalling version
1.2.  Just doing a straight uninstall/reinstall of 1.2 is insufficient cause
it leaves some (registry?) files in there.  When I've done all this, it
works.  But as soon as it starts going wrong, I need to go through this
whole process to get it functioning again.

At other times, like today, going through this process is insufficient.  I
am unable to get versions 1.1 or 1.2 working right now.

The problem is basically that the Event Server Monitor pops up, and seems to
get stuck either on "Configuring" or "Stopped".  Neither the audio nor
display resource managers show a heartbeat.

Also, running version 1.1, the DOS window pops up with the following
exception:

"Exception in thread "main" org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE:
java.net.BindException: Address in use
      at com.ooc.OCI.IIOP.impl.Acceptor.,init.(Acceptor.java:303)
      at com.ooc.CORBA.BOA.set_parameters(BOA.java:598)
      at com.ooc.CORBA.ORB.BOA_init(ORB.java:738)
      at ag.CorbaApp.initCorba(CorbaApp.java:41)
      at ag.EventServerMonitor.<init>(EventServerMonitor.java:208)
      at ag.EventServerMonitor.main(EventServerMonitor.java:190)

Any insights/solutions to these problems would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Robert Davies