[AG-TECH] Walk through installation and setup of AG2.0 on your existing AG

Barbara A. Kucera bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon May 12 09:14:23 CDT 2003

That sounds good, Don.  We'll look forward to Jeremy participating.

When are you going to hook a camera to your cockpit so we can join you, via
the AG, on those solo flights?

I understand about administrators not liking the small enrollments in the
jointly taught accredited courses, but it would help if you/others
enlightened them about the positive aspects resulting from their initial
investment.  I'm sure you can add others benefits, but the positive aspects
that I see are that their faculty are adept at using current technology,
interacting with those developing the newest technology and having the
vision to peek over the horizon and recognize what is coming.  All of this,
of course, results in introducing your students to not only expanded access
to knowledge in their area of interest, but also to the excitement and
capabilities of the technology they're using to gain that knowledge.

Enjoy your time in that big sky!

Barbara
------------

At 05:50 AM 5/12/2003 -0600, Don Morton wrote:
>On Wed, 07 May 2003 15:17:41 -0500, "Barbara A. Kucera"
><bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu> said:
> > EPSCoR State AG Node Users
> >
> > This is a really good way to get assistance "from the horses mouth" to
> > upgrade your existing Access Grid node to AG 2.0.  On Tuesdays and
> > Thursdays this week (tomorrow is Thursday) and next week, Eric Olson and
> > Mary Fritsch will lead a town hall meeting (for details see below) to
> > walk
> > you through installation and setup of AG2.0 on your existing AG.
>
>Jeremy is going to try to take part in these, though I don't think he
>can make the Tuesday one (some lame excuse about having to take a final
>exam).  If the weather is good, I'm scheduled to do my first
>long-distance
>solo flight to Kalispell (near Glacier National Park), and although I
>love you all (well, most of you!), looking at the Flathead Valley
>from 7,500 strikes me as more appealing than watching you all on
>the AG :)
>
>We're going to offload our AGN to folks who actually have more resources
>for long-term support, but I'd still like to at least "keep in touch" via
>PIG's and such.
>
>We, along with Montana Tech in Butte have been teaching a 1-credit Unix
>Programming Tools course this semester, which seems to have gone off
>well - it's almost "old hat" to be teaching on the AG these days, but
>still requires a lot of technical support, and the administrative
>model is still elusive (by sharing a class, a single school has low
>enrollment, which admin folks don't like, so it only seems to work
>when you volunteer to teach "overload").
>
>--

>    Don Morton                   http://MRoCCS.cs.umt.edu/~morton/
>    Department of Computer Science       The University of Montana
>    Missoula, MT 59812 | Voice (406) 243-4975 | Fax (406) 243-5139
>
>My all-time favourite bumper sticker:
>     REUNITE GONDWANALAND!!!

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/NSF EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 244-2909

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes. - Edsger W. Dijkstra, computer science professor