[AG-TECH] Re: AG Retreat 2003

Andrew Shewmaker shewa at inel.gov
Mon Mar 31 09:43:18 CST 2003

On Friday 28 March 2003 05:54 pm, mmurphy at ryerson.ca wrote:
> Many:
>
> This is simply outrageous. I didn't know that the USA had second-class
> citizenship for some Canadians. What an absolute disgrace! Is the US
> government also preventing its own US citizens who were born in "certain
> countries" from attending? I thought this project was all about open source
> development around the world.
>
> Sadly, I am angered but not surprised. I will NOT be attending. I was born
> in Canada, but my ancestors came from Ireland, so who knows when we will be
> next.
>
> Michael

The time frame for review and approval, 60 to 120 days, is certainly quite
long and more than just inconvenient.  I've only worked in a U.S. National
Lab for two years, but this sounds more like the cruft of bureaucracy than
the transformation of the U.S. into a fascist government.  I wonder if the
lab would refund the money Many spent after he received the initial
confirmation of his registration?  After all, he wouldn't have spent the
money if he hadn't received the confirmation email.

-Andrew

--
Andrew Shewmaker
Associate Engineer, INEEL