[AG-TECH] SBLive problems

Leslie Arvin arvin at stat.purdue.edu
Tue Mar 25 16:33:34 CST 2003

We purchased an SBLive 5.1 Card for our Portable Access Grid node
(3 Shuttle X SB51G boxes -- Audio/Video running RedHat Linux 8,
 and Display running Windows 2000).  I have installed the emu10k1
driver from opensource.creative.com.  I can play audio and I can
send audio using rat to the Access Grid.  However, the rat controls
have no effect on the audio levels.  Why?

The audio source is Line In on the back of the card.  In Volume
Control, gnome-volume-control, only the igain control affects
the Access Grid audio levels.  Even "volume" has no effect.
Do I have a mixer setting or route wrong?

I know others of you have tried the SBLive card on your Access Grid
nodes.  What settings (or drivers?) have worked for you?  And if
you feel generous, please give examples; I have been struggling to
figure out how to use aumix or emu-dspmgr or emu-config, and what
different settings mean, and for an audio novice the available
documentation is very sketchy.

Some additional info:

[ag at oiell-a-117 ag]$ cat /etc/modules.conf
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 8139too
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
# emu10k1 audio
alias sound emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
#post-install emu10k1 /usr/local/etc/emu-script

[ag at oiell-a-117 ag]$ aumix -q vol 79, 79
pcm 0, 0
speaker 0, 0
line 100, 100, P
mic 0, 0, R
cd 67, 67, P
mix 0, 0
igain 41, 41, P
ogain 0, 0
line1 0, 0, P
dig1 0, 0
phin 0, 0, P
phout 0, 0
video 0, 0, P

[ag at oiell-a-117 ag]$ emu-dspmgr -r

  Routes:
    Pcm L:Digital L
    Pcm L:Digital Center
    Pcm L:ADC Rec L
    Pcm R:Digital R
    Pcm R:Digital LFE
    Pcm R:ADC Rec R
    Pcm1 L:ADC Rec L
    Pcm1 R:ADC Rec R
    fx8:Digital L
    fx8:Digital Center
    fx9:Digital R
    fx9:Digital LFE
    fx10:ADC Rec L
    fx11:ADC Rec R
    fx12:Phones L
    fx12:out9r
    fx13:Phones R
    fx13:out10l
    Analog L:Digital Center
    Analog L:ADC Rec L
    Analog L:Mic Rec
    Analog R:Digital LFE
    Analog R:ADC Rec R
    Analog R:out6r
    CD-Spdif L:Digital L
    CD-Spdif L:Digital Center
    CD-Spdif L:ADC Rec L
    CD-Spdif R:Digital R
    CD-Spdif R:Digital LFE
    CD-Spdif R:ADC Rec R

[ag at oiell-a-117 ag]$ emu-config -I
Driver version: 0.20
mixer interface version: 2
Card type: SBLive

[ag at oiell-a-117 ag]$ emu-config -p
Recording Source: ADC

Mono Voice:
                A    B    C    D
  Send Route:   0x0  0x1  0x2  0x3
  Send Amount:  0xff 0xff 0x00 0x00

Stereo Voice:
                Left                    Right
          A    B    C    D        A    B    C    D
  Send Route:     0x0  0x1  0x2  0x3      0x4  0x5  0x6  0x7
  Send Amount:  0xff 0x00 0x00 0x00       0x00 0xff 0x00 0x00

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-- Leslie Arvin
   arvin at purdue.edu
   Programmer