[AG-TECH] Linux support for Matrox G200 MMS Quad

Jeremy Mann jeremy at bioc09.v19.uthscsa.edu
Tue Mar 25 16:30:05 CST 2003

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to know if anyone have successfully got Matrox G200 MMS Quad
> running four screens with XFree86. We want to buy a G200 MMS Quad and
> use a Linux box (RedHat 8.0, XFree86 4.2.0) as the display computer.
> Thanks.

We have just such a card. It works very well under Linux, but it was
conflicting with our Intel Pro/1000MT ethernet adaptor. I haven't figured
out what doesn't like what, but there is apparently an I/O conflict
between the G200MMS and this 64bit card or it could be the motherboard
itself (ASUS A7M-266D). But other than that, if we don't use that ethernet
card, all 4 outputs work marvelous. BTW, I haven't got the TV Tuner to
work yet in Linux.

On our system (Slackware 8.1), XFree86 configured the Matrox as 4
independent screens. The trick was the turn Xinerama on. But one thing I
don't like about it is when you mix resolutions on the outputs, each
corresponding output outputs less. An example is our main #1 display is a
17" monitor showing at 1280x1024. Outputs #2 and #3 are LCD projectors and
can only do 1024x768 so I don't get the taskbar across the bottom of the
screen. Its like it shows only 1024x768 of the original 1280x1024 screen.
Other than that, its a perfect card.

If you need a working XFConfig file, I'll send you mine.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility