[AG-TECH] Small Scale Node

Allan Spale aspale at evl.uic.edu
Thu Jul 31 21:33:00 CDT 2003

Monika,

AP-Ware does use a lot of CPU cycles and as much as is available.  This is
primarily because the software polls the Gentner quite frequently.  I
have noticed above 90% when the software connects to the Gentner.
However, this was one anomoly.  If my memory serves me correctly, if
you were monitoring mic levels, the CPU usage actually drops
significantly (not sure why, someone can verify this).

For you or anyone that is interested, the polling process can have its
priority lowered.  In Windows 2000, open up the Task Manager and go to the
list of processes.  Find the process named APServe.exe.  This is the
process that does the polling of the Gentner device.  The AP-Ware user
interface has the process name of APWare.exe.  Right-click on the
APServe.exe process and select something like Set Priority (not in front
of that PC now), and select Low.  When the warning box comes up, click ok.
This will make a noticable difference in CPU usage, and the polling
process will relinquish its CPU cycles to other programs.

Allan
EVL at UIC
Research Assistant