[AG-TECH] Small Scale Node

Glover George dime at gulfsales.com
Thu Jul 31 16:23:26 CDT 2003

Hello all,

	We've been using the Access Grid now for over and year and no
real complaints.  However, I was wondering if anyone can help us with
this.  We're looking at the possibility of building a small scale AGN
here at USM for another location on campus.  They do not need or want to
spend the type of budget required for a full scale room, with 2 or 3
projection screens.  We were wondering, does anyone have experience in
setting something small up, say between $10,000 and $15,000?  I've
noticed that it would be possible to run (in version 1 of AG) both the
audio and video on one linux machines (as we had to do when we lost the
motherboard in the audio machine), and be able to run both the control
and display machines on the same windows machine.  Now I haven't got too
far along with the personal type node that is on the site with the
version 2 software, because I don't have a signed signature, but I was
wondering.....

1.  Since it feels like most of the setup revolves around the display,
what type of inexpensive display would work best, possibly one projector
if small enough, maybe a large monitor or flat screen, plasma display,
etc.

2.  For a one or two camera setup, what would be the requirements in
hardware and software.  Is version 2 of the AG agile enough to be
configured in many different ways, is this even recommended?

3.  Anything anyone can suggest will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Glover George
Systems Admin/Programmer
University of Southern Mississippi