[AG-TECH] Multicast Address Use in AG2

Don Morton donmorton at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 11 07:25:48 CST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 04:34:44 -0600, "Ivan R. Judson" <judson at mcs.anl.gov>
said:

> So, what do we do?

> 2) We will host a transitional AG2 Venue Server that is initialized with
> the
> AG1 venues (same name, description, topology, and media streams) so that
> AG2
> users can collaborate with AG1 users. We will get this built as soon as
> possible.

It might be that my question has been answered implicitly in Ivan's
message, but that I just don't know enough to realize that :)

So, there is currently a fairly large set of static IP assignments
courtesy of ANL - current institutions seem to have their own
pairs, along with the traditional venues.  Will these static
assignments ultimately vanish after the transition, or will
this new policy apply only to new, future venues?  Or, somewhere
in between (e.g. retain things like Test Room and AG Lobby as
statically assigned IP pairs)?

>From a layperson's perspective, I think in theory that what Ivan
suggests is probably the way to go, and "appears" to support
this idea of a cosmos-wide (ever since Mark Hereld's talk at
AG Retreat last year, I'm inspired to think of AG beyond our
planetary boundaries!!) venues network where indeed groups can
create their own venues, integrated with some "master plan."
And, of course, as I'm learning here in Missoula, multicast
address space is a tightly guarded commodity, so it certainly
doesn't make sense to assign so many IP/port pairs to venues
that are rarely used.