[AG-TECH] Suggestions for single computer, full function AG node

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Wed Dec 10 05:05:47 CST 2003

Hi list!

As well as being interested in PIGs, I am now looking for single computer
systems
that will handle a full AG node system, if that is now feasible.  I'm
assuming a fair
bit of 'grunt' (twin 3 GHz+ processors) and hopefully something like the
Matrox QID
(anyone actually seen one of these yet - all I've found are announcements!)
drive console + 3 projectors/wide-body triple LCD configuration.

In terms of capacity, what I would *like* to be able to handle is a 12 site
encrypted
meeting - about 30 video feeds.  The only points on the performance graph I
have
so far is that our 1.4 GHz (nominal) Athlon with a G200 card handles about
20-25 feeds
unencrypted and about 10 or 11 encrypted, before windows start to stick.
I'm hoping
that 2x3 GHz processors and something like the QID (which I mention only
because
it seems to be one of the few cards with 4 outputs that runs off the AGP bus
and
so saves PCI slots for something else) will allow that.

BTW, I'm expecting to use a separate, tiny computer (Pangolin Tardis) to
control
the Gentner, as the software for that seems not to be a happy cohabitor with
the display system.  I'm definitely interested in the thread on Firewire
video
capture, especially if these can be daisy-chained - that saves two or more
PCI
slots (and cards).  Similarly on the audio front - a Firewire 8in/8-out box
like the
MotU 828 Mk II is worth investigating IMHO; I have one and am going to try.
This gives you all the interfaces you could need, full duplex, all balanced
I/O,
over a single Firewire lead, so no bal/unbal interfaces are required and no
cards.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Chris

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44
(0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0)
1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44
(0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44
(0) 1235 445597
CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the
intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show
it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]