[AG-TECH] Initial problems with latest AG release - RH 7.3

Douglas Baggett dbaggett at nsf.gov
Fri Aug 29 13:02:04 CDT 2003

Well,

I installed a stock RH 7.3 system, and fully patched it. I downloaded
and installed the AG 2.1-3 bundle and....

1. I noticed that after the installation and after the cert import if I
did not log out of my current X session, it (Venue Client) did not work.
The installation issue had to do with Globus variables not being set.
The Cert import I am unsure of. After starting a new X session
everything seemed to work ok. You might want to put a text blurb to
restart your X session before starting the Venue client for the first
time.

2. The Vic transmit slider is locked to a max of 128 kb/s. I'm assuming
there is a config file somewhere to change. Can somebody point this out
to me.

3. Initially I was using a Dell GX400 with onboard audio. For some
reason, even if LINUX configured the sound correctly (its an Intel AC97
i810) RAT does not detect it. If you go into the audio preferences its
not available from the PIC list of hardware. I found a SBLive! which
fixed my problem. This looks like a RAT issue.

4. Once I got RAT going with the SBLive, the transmit volume even with
it cranked all the way up is WAY too low. I don't even get 4 bars
maximum when yelling into my microphone. I launched aumix and the
Microphone levels are maxed out. Is there something I'm missing? Any
help would be greatly appreciated!

Overall, it works great. Just some tweaking left to do.

-Doug B