[AG-TECH] Venue Server start-up configuration

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 28 20:42:47 CDT 2003

We tend to err on the side of having an ag user run it on linux, this is to
attempt to isolate actions that happen on behalf of the venue server from
being root priviledged. There's no known danger, but it's a prudent solution
either way.

The other point is that, if the ag user is enabled with a service
certificate (see other mail for that discussion), which has no passphrase
(and thus no proxy expiration) the venue server can run as a credentialed
service indefinitely. This is (IMHO) a very nice thing. We will be working
on some small documents that enumerate the vneue server and venue clients
exact foot print on the host system (what files and directories it touches,
when, and why) and what ports are required to be open in firewalls for what
purposes. This should help explain more about the system.

--Ivan

PS -- Again, if these docs are a priority let us know. The more input we get
(on what people want) the better we can decide how to move forward.