[AG-TECH] Venue Server start-up configuration

Randy Groves randy.groves at boeing.com
Thu Aug 28 16:45:30 CDT 2003

I'm setting up a RedHat venue server, and would obviously like to have all
this start up on re-boot.  I notice that a couple of scripts for the node
and service manager services are included, and I'll probably start off from
there to craft a venue server startup script (unless of course, someone's
already done this ...)

Inspecting the scripts, I see that they default to having the ag user run them.

And this brought up a couple of questions.  I have been, up to now, running
the venue server as root.  So - is there anything inherent in the structure
of the venue server (security, access to files, etc.) that would argue for
root as owner or ag as owner of these processes?  And is the general design
philosophy that most of these processes should be run by a non-privileged
user?  What does this imply about possible access to data on the system?

I guess I'm now leaning toward moving all this to have ag run it.  But I'd
like to get and idea of the consensus.

-randy