[AG-TECH] AccessGrid 2.0 in Slackware 9.0

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 7 13:44:15 CDT 2003

Hi Stephen,

> I'm attempting to install the AccessGrid packages in Slackware 9.0.
>
> First -- I'd like to point out the folly of providing the source
> packages in RPM format only. That doesn't count as "source"
> -- that's a
> source RPM. Sources should be in generic tar.gz packages.

We have that in our list of things to do; however you can always get the
code from cvs as well. That would avoid the RPM issue.

> Nevertheless, I have installed rpm in order to access the sources. I
> have been attempting to build Slackware packages from the
> tar.gz files
> extracted from the source RPMs, but things are not building;
> attempts to
>   rebuild the rpms using rpmbuild are also failing (some of the files
> are "installed but not packaged" - I had a vague notion of converting
> rpms to slackware packages but after this problem decided it
> would be a
> better idea to just build from raw sources).
>
> I'm perfectly happy building directly from source but the
> sources have
> to build -- building vic fails with the following error:
>
> rm -f video/grabber-qcam.o; c++ -o video/grabber-qcam.o -c
> -O2 -g -W -Wall -Wno-implicit-int -Wno-return-type -DQCAMDEV
> -DLinux -DUSE_SHM -fsigned-char -DED_YBITS=4 -DSIGRET=void
> -DNLAYER=8 -I. -Icodec/tmndec -Icodec/tmn-x -Icodec/h263
> -Irtp -Irender -Inet -Ivideo -Icodec -I../common
> -I../tk-8.0/generic -I../tcl-8.0/generic   -Icodec/jpeg
> -Icodec/p64 -I.
> video/grabber-qcam.cpp
> video/grabber-qcam.cpp:66: qcam.h: No such file or directory
> video/grabber-qcam.cpp:69: qcam-os.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [video/grabber-qcam.o] Error 1
>
> Obviously a missing header. What is the header from?

It looks to me like the configure script is detecting you have quickcam
support. That would happen if you have /usr/local/lib/libqcam.a, or
/dev/qcam0, or have specifically specified the directory for the code (which
I'm guessing you didn't do).

Why don't you try reconfiguring using something like --without-qcam to
explicitly disabling this?  Does slackware include the libraries? RedHat
doesn't, this sounds more like a porting issue than a mistake in our cvs
stuff.  Note, our build system is designed for RedHat and Windows, however
we're happy to modify it to include slackware, if you tell us what needs to
be done...

--Ivan