[AG-TECH] Question about Codec

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 6 08:31:17 CDT 2003

Additionally, we are looking into higher quality codecs, both Larry's
OpenMASH and some other more informal work hopefully involving Colin and Co
at ISI. OM has a new H.263 codec that works very nicely, but the current
agvic has a bug that causes it to crash when it sees an OM H.263 stream, OM
also has as bob pointed out MJPEG support.

The other work involves potentially taking recently available prosumer
cameras that produces a MPEG2-TS stream via firewire at HD resolutions (so
the specs say :-), grabbing the data and streaming via vic shouldn't be
insurmountable; decoding might take a bit of horsepower, but at least it's
MPEG2 (decoders for which are seemingly embedded in most graphics chips
now).

Another place to consider looking it Linux Media Labs MPEG-4 boards, with
drivers for mplayer. We don't have this working, but would be happy to help
you make it work.

Cheers,

--Ivan