[AG-TECH] AG2, moving from standalone to multi-machine

darran.edmundson at anu.edu.au darran.edmundson at anu.edu.au
Mon Apr 28 09:18:38 CDT 2003

Taking into account that I'm a newcomer to AG
technology, could someone possibly describe how AG2
runs across multiple machines?   (Or even just a
pointer to the relevent docs.)  I've got AG2 running
standalone but can only guess about:

- Does each machine hold a copy of the globus proxy
  certificate or just one?  If the latter, is this
  the "node manager"?
- Or do I run the nodemanager on each machine, adding
  the appropriate service (display=VideoConsumer,
  video=VideoProducer, audio=Audio)?
- I'd love an explanation of what a node operator does
  and what actually happens under the hood to bring an
  AG2 node up.

I'm starting to get an inkling about AG2 from digging
through the source and reading the logs (e.g., how
services are downloaded from the nodemanager) but any
help to accelerate this process would be greatly
appreciated.  I can't help but feel that I'm missing
a crucial piece of documentation that clarifies all.

Less important questions:
- Running standalone leaves me with several python
  processes.  I would have thought that shutting down
  the main venue client or selecting "kill services"
  would terminate these, no?
- Should I get a beacon up and running on the video
  capture machine ASAP?
- When running standalone on the capture machine, why
  do I see two copies of my single camera when I visit
  localhost?

Cheers,
Darran.