[AG-TECH] Problem with the beacon?

Jon Zeeff jzeeff at internet2.edu
Tue Apr 22 09:46:14 CDT 2003

Here are some suggestions that seem to work for me:

Download the lastest beacon software - beacon_v0.63

Edit Beacon.java to these values (I randomly increased them)

     final static int maxPacketSize = 4096; // set this to quite large enough
     final static String magicString= "beacon0600"; // unique identification
     final static int maxReportPacketSize = 16384; // approximately enough
for 80

Edit Send.java

           socket.setTimeToLive(bcn.mcTtl); // for JDK1.2
           // socket.setTTL((byte)bcn.mcTtl);     // for JDK1.1

Run "javac *.java"

Restart the beacon. FYI, I see 119 different sources in the 233.2.171.1 group.