[AG-TECH] Re: AGN PIG echo cancel?

Matthew Wolf mwolf at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 19 10:07:01 CDT 2002

I did quite a bit of searching on this not too long ago.  It seems that
there's a big gap in price/quality on echo cancellation.  You go from
$400 to $2000 without much in between.

At the low end, for less than $500 you can get a speaker phone with
built-in echo cancellation and an interconnect to your PC.  ClearOne's
phone does the pc interconnect by default -- from polycom you need to
buy it separately.  Total cost is about a dead heat -- Polycom was a bit
cheaper in my case, so that's what I went with.

You then jump up to the dedicated echo cancellation gear plus
microphones, which is in that $2-5k range.  Polycom & ClearOne are the
two players, near as I can tell.  Polycom bought ASPI recently, and it's
the ASPI products that Polycom's pushing (the Vortex line).
Unfortunately, you need to go through a local vendor in order to get
prices & info, since the polycom/ASPI web page meshing is still under
way.

Here are some useful price links for the low end stuff I was talking
about.

Polycom:
Soundstation phone
http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/0-11788-311-185595.html?tag=st.sh.sr.pl.pr185595

Video interconnet for polycom soundstation (to hook to PC)
http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/0-11752-311-185606.html?tag=st.sh.sr.pl.pr185606

ClearOne phone
http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/0-8770305-311-9515817.html

I hope this helps!