[AG-TECH] How do we test bandwidth of connection to a reflector?

Gregory Belton gregorybelton at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 30 05:00:25 CST 2002

Hi,

I'm from IBM Hursley Laboratories, we are looking to build IBM's first
Access Grid Node here.

We currently have a connection to the internet via AT&T and a LAN. The
laboratory here currently uses a 10MBit/s trunk. When we build our AG Node
the idea is to purchase a second 10MBit trunk. Before we spend the cash to
do this we must be sure the bandwidth to the Manchester Reflector (the
reflector we may use for multicast) is good enough for AG purposes. Whats
the best way to make sure we have a good enough connection to the Manchester
or another reflector? Are we on the right track here?

This diagram goes some way to explaining the bandwidth situation:
http://www.nofuture.org.uk/Visio-internetAreasDiagram.pdf

How do we be sure that our AG node will have the BW/Speed it needs for a
good level of audio/video? Have any other corporations been down this route
- of not connecting down the academic backbone?

Your help and suggestions are appreciated,

-Greg.
Gregory Belton