[AG-TECH] dppt weirdness

Jennifer Teig von Hoffman jtvh at bu.edu
Wed Oct 30 13:48:00 CST 2002

Hi everybody,

We're having trouble here with a laptop that doesn't seem to be running
dppt right. It's got WinXP and AG release 1.2, display machine install.
  When I run the client command (or the master, for that matter), the
client appears to start, and to connect to the server, but then dies
with the error messages below. PowerPoint does in fact open, but without
any file open in it.

We did make sure that we had a current JVM installed (Russ tells me XP
doesn't have one by default).

Anybody seen behavior like this before, or have any suggestions of what
to try?

- Jennifer

C:\ag\dppt>client c:\doug.ppt

C:\ag\dppt>call config

C:\ag\dppt>set CLASSPATH=ag.jar;agx.jar;jsdt.jar;jsdt-client-socket.jar

C:\ag\dppt>rem *******************************************************

C:\ag\dppt>rem ** You MUST SET the Distributed Power Point Server

C:\ag\dppt>rem ** Change the 'SERVER=hostname' line below to reflect your

C:\ag\dppt>rem ** meetings distributed power point server.

C:\ag\dppt>rem **

C:\ag\dppt>rem ** You can keep multiple SERVER lines provided that

C:\ag\dppt>rem ** you place 'rem' before the word SERVER

C:\ag\dppt>rem ** for the SERVERS you are not using for your meeting.

C:\ag\dppt>rem **

C:\ag\dppt>rem ** The last 'SERVER=hostname' will be where your dppt

C:\ag\dppt>rem ** will look.  You can have only one server per meeting.

C:\ag\dppt>rem ********************************************************

C:\ag\dppt>rem

C:\ag\dppt>rem SERVER=agcontrol.bu.edu

C:\ag\dppt>rem set SERVER=dyfrig.mcs.anl.gov

C:\ag\dppt>set SERVER=agdisplay.bu.edu

C:\ag\dppt>rem

C:\ag\dppt>set PORT=5001

C:\ag\dppt>set URL=jsdt://agdisplay.bu.edu:5001/socket/Session/AG

C:\ag\dppt>set JAVA=jview

C:\ag\dppt>jview ag.presentationClient -win
jsdt://agdisplay.bu.edu:5001/socket/
Session/AG  c:\doug.ppt
Peer at arg 0 is -win
Peer at arg 1 is jsdt://agdisplay.bu.edu:5001/socket/Session/AG
client name is Administrator at agproducer
connecting to session jsdt://agdisplay.bu.edu:5001/socket/Session/AG
Connected to session com.sun.media.jsdt.socket.socketSession at 37
Created app, os is Windows (32-bit) 5.01
got presentations com.ms.com.CUnknown at 49
Open caught exception: com.ms.com.ComFailException: (0x80004005)
Unspecified err
or

java.lang.NullPointerException
         at ag/ppt/Presentation.<init>
         at ag/ppt/PowerPoint.openFile
         at ag/presentationClient.openPresentation
         at ag/presentationClient.<init>
         at ag/presentationClient.main

ERROR: java.lang.NullPointerException

C:\ag\dppt>