[AG-TECH] DDOS attacks

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 29 14:37:30 CST 2002

At 09:28 AM 10/24/2002 -0700, Jay Beavers wrote:
>What about sending false IGMP messages?  Perhaps in deny mode where
>unjoin is continually sent to deny the routing of legitimate traffic?

I'll have to look again, but I'm pretty sure IGMP leave messages don't
instantly stop traffic into the local Ethernet subnet.  I believe it's the
duty of other IGMP speakers to watch the wire and express their interest
before some timeout.

>Think of the semi-knowledgeable attacker scenarios.  If someone knew
>that important traffic was generally occurring on a limited set of
>IP/Port combinations (like a list of AG Venues for instance, easily
>accessible), how much damage could they do?  Could they do it
>anonymously?

They could get the traffic, but they couldn't cause traffic to be sent
anywhere other than their local subnet.  (Unless, of course, they used an
IP source address on that subnet.)

>Could they convince an edge router that 1000 other routers wanted that
>existing multicast traffic, overloading the network bandwidth between
>the edge router and the POP?

Multicast traffic forwarding in the modern Internet is receiver-interest
driven.  A receiver has to register interest in a group for any traffic on
that group to come towards the receiver.

>This is a scenario that worries me, far more than an "overload traffic"
>unicast style DDoS attacks.
>
>  - jcb

===