[AG-TECH] electronic whiteboards

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 23 18:51:06 CDT 2002

The Tablet PC doesn't capture writing as just a series of mousedown(x,y)
points.  It sub-samples the pen location with an active digitizer that's
4x higher resolution than the 1024x768 display surface, adds in pen
pressure, and curve fits the ink strokes.  It also captures timing of
the pen movement in sub-strokes.  The result is a very nice looking ink
stroke which also is much easier to perform character or gesture
recognition upon.

Having implemented our 'ink on whiteboard' application using
mousedown(x,y) tracking and then re-implemented it using rich ink from
the Tablet SDK, we saw a very significant difference in quality and
acceptance of inking when rich ink was captured from an active
digitizer.

 - jcb