[AG-TECH] Audio Question

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Tue Oct 15 04:15:27 CDT 2002

Naturally many things can cause crackling and pops, but IMHO
by far the most common is not getting the levels right through
the whole audio chain.  With a Gentner AP800 there are the
following variable gain points (from memory - I may have missed
one out!):

    mic gain - coarse and fine together - aim for post-gain level
        that only exceeds 0 dB occasionally and by no more than
        say 6 dB

    output channel gain - ditto

    RAT 'send' gain - normally I aim for 70% - 80%, into the
        yellow but not the red

If any of these are higher or lower and then compensated for
by another gain, the chances of cracking, popping, distorting
and general nastiness are high.  Always get these right before
attacking any other parameters; e.g. using a limiter to correct
too high a post-gain mic level adds a second possible form of
distortion - it doesn't remove the first!

In these days of all (or at least most) signal processing being
in the digital domain, errors are punished much harder than
in analogue days.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44
(0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0)
1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44
(0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44
(0) 1235 445597
CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the
intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show
it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]